Grapefruit essential oil is a potent extract derived from the Citrus paradisi grapefruit plant. Having been used for centuries to help beat inflammation, weight gain, sugar cravings and even hangover symptoms, it’s considered a natural stress-fighter, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant food and anticarcinogenic.
BENEFITS OF GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL
- Weight Loss Booster: Grapefruit oil applied topically to the skin is an excellent diuretic and lymphatic stimulant.
- Natural Antibacterial: Grapefruit oil has antimicrobial effects that help reduce or eliminate harmful strains of bacteria that can enter the body through contaminated foods, water or parasites. Research shows that grapefruit oil can even fight strong bacterial strains that are responsible for food-borne illnesses, including E. Coli and salmonella. Grapefruit is also used to kill skin or internal bacteria and fungus, fight mold growth, kill parasites in animal feeds, preserve food, and disinfect water.
- Natural Antifungal: Grapefruit oil has antifungal abilities and is able to reduce yeast and bacteria that are responsible for causing candida virus symptoms, a common condition affecting gut health that can cause cravings. Research shows that grapefruit is effective at fighting urinary tract infections too and might even be “comparable to that of proven antibacterial drugs.” In addition, grapefruit vapors have also been shown to help treat lung and nasal infections when inhaled.
- Stress Buster: The smell of grapefruit is uplifting, soothing and clarifying. It’s known to reduce stress.
- Powerful stimulant: Grapefruit oil is a powerful stimulant, so it can help stop headaches, cravings, and sluggishness.
- Boost Circulation: Nearly all therapeutic-grade citrus essential oils are capable of helping lower inflammation and increase blood flow. The blood vessel-dilating effects of grapefruit are useful as a natural remedy for PMS cramps, headaches, bloating, fatigue and muscle pains. Add a few drops to a nightly bath, place some on your shirt collar or dap some onto your wrists.
- Natural Energizer: As one of the most popular oils used in aromatherapy, grapefruit oil can increase your mental focus and give you a natural pick-me-up. When inhaled, its stimulating effects also make it effective for reducing headaches, sleepiness, “brain fog,” mental fatigue and even poor moods. It’s even beneficial for symptoms like low motivation, aches, and sluggishness. Some people like to use grapefruit as a mild, natural antidepressant since it can increase alertness while also calming nerves. Use some while working, showering in the morning, or combined with other perfumes and beauty products.
- Acne Fighter and Skin Saver: Not only is grapefruit essential oil able to help fight bacteria and greasiness that can cause acne blemishes, but it’s also useful for keeping skin’s immunity strong against indoor and outdoor air pollution and UV light damage — plus helps you get rid of cellulite. It’s also been found to help heal wounds, cuts, bites and to prevent skin infections.
- Hair Cleanser: Grapefruit essential oil added to your shampoo or conditioner to help reduce grease, sweat, and bacteria while adding volume and shine. If you color your hair, grapefruit oil might also be able to protect strands from sunlight damage.