What is Matcha?
Matcha is finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves. It is special in two aspects of farming and processing: the green tea plants for matcha are shade-grown for about three weeks before harvest and the stems and veins are removed in processing. During shaded growth, the plant Camellia sinensis produces more theanine and caffeine (Wikipedia.)
Benefits of Matcha
Matcha has always been excellent for the skin and used for centuries. Here are just a few of the benefits of Matcha:
- Treats inflammation. Matcha powder has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the redness associated with chronic skin conditions such as rosacea and even acne. It is gentle enough for all skin types and brings soothing relief from these issues. Not only does the skin feel better, but matcha also diminishes redness.
- Improves your complexion. Matcha powder has extraordinary properties to keep your complexion fresh and healthy. Not only does it reduce inflammation, it exfoliates and eliminates dead skin cells, then restores the underlying skin to improve your complexion.
- Diminishes the signs of aging. This is one of the biggest reasons I love Matcha. It stimulates elastin production to add volume to the skin, as well as protects the skin against free radicals that cause sun damage, age spots, dry skin, and wrinkles. Why wouldn’t you love it?
- Treats oily skin. The tannins in matcha shrink pores and reduce the production of oil associated with acne. If you or someone you love struggles with breakouts and oily skin, matcha is particularly beneficial as it removes oil from the skin and slows the production of the oil causing the acne.
- Treats all skin types. Matcha is food, not chemicals, which is about as natural as it can get. That is why it is gentle enough for younger skin yet strong enough for skin that needs a little boost to look better.
The Magic Elixir for Your Face
The next time you want a little rejuvenating skin treatment, a matcha mask is one of the best things you can do. Take it one step further and enjoy a nice hot cup of green tea while you wear the mask to get the full effects of matcha.
Try a matcha face mask, salt scrub, or even a wonder soap bar made with Matcha!