What is Geranium Essential Oil?
Geranium essential oil, Pdargonium graveolens, comes from a plant orgionally native of South Africa. It is now grown mainly in China and Egypt. Of the 700 different varieties of the plant, only 10 can be used to make the essential oil. The plant is harvested shortly after flowering to capture the highest concentration of the oil which comes from the leaves. The oil is steam distilled from the glands found in the leaves and from the green stems of the plant. The oil is green to amber colored and has a powerful sweet floral aroma with distinct minty undertones.
Geranium essential oil is a cheerful oil, appreciated by both adults and children. It has a balancing, cooling, and reviving effect on skin, especially when it is weather damaged or irritated. Geranium oil is also a mild diuretic, making it a useful aid to detox and it can help soothe urinary tract infections. Want to know the benefits? See below.
Benefits of Geranium Essential Oil
- Aids detox: It being a gentle diuretic its effect helps the body to eliminate excess water and reduce puffiness
- Balances Emotions: It is both calming and uplifting. It makes a natural antidepressant and can reduce restlessness and help treat anxiety in children and adults.
- Acts as a pain reliever: Geranium has mild analgesic properties that can relieve the pain of neuralgia and conditions such as shingles.
- Tones the scalp: Geranium oil helps to balance the secretion of sebum on the scalp, making it a useful treatment for flaky dandruff.
- Tones skin: Geranium is a balancing oil that is suitable for all skin types. It