Juniper Berry Essential Oil Benefits
Juniper, Juniperus communis, is a distinctive, crisp smelling oil that stimulates and strengthens the nerves and bolsters spirits. Juniper trees are evergreen that produces seed cones called berries. While oil can be distilled from the needles and twigs the sweetest oil comes from the berries. The essential oil is steam distilled from the berries, the colorless or pale yellow oil has a fresh, warm, woody, herbaceous smell. If it smells like a cocktail that is because the berries also flavor gin.
It has a mild diuretic effect that helps relieve water retention, a warming action that soothes aching muscles and joints, and a toning and balancing effect on the skin.
- Tones skin and hair: Juniper oil is stimulating astringent and detoxifying it helps to unblock pores and balances oily skin and skin prone to blackheads and acne. Diluted it can be applied to eczema and psoriasis and in a hair rinse it helps treat dandruff.
- Aids detox: Juniper’s purifying action reduces water retention. As a diuretic, it helps to dispel toxins making it useful for gout rheumatism, and arthritis
- Treats urinary infections: A few drops in warm, shallow bath can ease symptoms of cystitis. Try as a massage or compress on the lower back to ease kidney stone discomfort.
- Eases aches and pains: Juniper essential oil soothes rheumatic and arthritic pain. Its tonic effect helps regulate the menstrual cycle and can ease cramps.
- Relieves varicose veins: Its gentle astringent action can help to shrink varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
- Relieves anxiety: Juniper eases tension and mental exhaustion. It is reputed to dispel negative emotions such as insecurity, loneliness, and guilt.